A Green Art — Reed Painting (Reed Weaving Craft Picture)
Reed painting is a unique treasure of China’s traditional folk art. As a green art, the painting is hand-made with natural materials such as the leaves, rods and spikes of reed, which undergoes more than a dozen of working procedures ranging from ironing, pressing, pasting to moisturizing. Having no artificial coloring involved, 80% of the painting is created by taking advantage of the shade difference of reeds, while the rest 20% is made possible by carbonization through ironing and pressing. Also due to a special processing technique, it can be preserved for a long period of time.
Reed painting took its origin from the reed weaving craft of Baiyang Lake area dating back from Song and Tang Dynasties (over 1000 years ago). It got its name as reed painting in the Ming Dynasty, when people began to cut open the reeds and weave them into different patterns, although the paintings were single-colored at that time. In the Qing Dynasty, under the influence of porcelain craft and western culture, bold innovations began to take place in reed painting art, with improvements made in color and stereoscopic effect.
As a combination of traditional Chinese folk art and modern decorative art, reed painting represents the unification of inheritance and innovation and conveys a serene and rustic beauty.